Location Of Gene For Familial Essential Tremor Identified

WESTPORT, Aug 27 (Reuters) - Scientists at deCode Genetics based in
Reykjavik, Iceland, report in Nature Genetics for September that they have
determined the location of the gene for familial essential tremor.
According to Dr. Kari Stefansson, lead researcher, the gene, FET1, maps to
chromosome 3q13.

"Previous studies have shown an association between essential tremor and
Parkinson's and it is possible that the two diseases are caused by
different abnormalities in the same gene," Dr. Stefansson theorizes in a
company press release. "While we are excited to have identified the
location of ... [FET1] ... we consider this study to be the beginning of
the familial essential tremor story, not the end."

With further study, Dr. Stefansson and his team hope to learn more about
the mechanism behind essential tremor and possibly Parkinson's disease,
with an eye toward developing new therapies for both diseases.

Nature Genetics 1997;17:000-000.
Westport Newsroom 203 319 2700
Copyright 1997 Reuters Limited.
<http://www.reutershealth.com/news/docs/199708/19970827scb.html>