There is a pathway that leads from my front door, across
 the front of the house, to where the concrete of the driveway
ends in garage doors.  It is a path I use everyday, sometimes
to check the post, sometimes as the start of a neighborhood
stroll, sometimes to get the car out and range further afield.
Stepping onto that pathway in the front garden of a small
suburban house on the west coast of Australia I step onto the
network of roads and pathways that joins every address in
Australia to every  other address in Australia.  I have no need
or desire to travel all those roads, yet I am awed by the
thought that outside my doorway is the start of the roads to Cape
York and Ulhuru (Ayres Rock),  Sydney and Brisbane.

Most days I choose to stay close to home, limiting my destinations
to answer the needs of day to day living, the shopping centre, the
post office, the homes of friends.  Sometimes I choose to go further
afield, perhaps to visit the theatre, perhaps for a picnic in the
country, but I am still traveling familiar roads, comfortable in my local
knowledge,  able to choose my way almost without thought.

Longer journeys need more planning, more conscious choices.  Which
road do I use?  Do I want to take the scenic route or save time with the
direct route?  Will I need to carry food?  Where are the fuel stops?
Are there any interesting places worth a diversion or a stopover?  The
list of choices to be made goes on, and making them can be a source
of fun.

 But what of the day I have to make a long journey, to a destination
not of my choosing.   If my front door leads to every potential address
it is also the potential destination of visitors from anywhere, both
the good places and the bad.  And if they carry a summons which
cannot be ignored then it is time to make choices about the things I still
can.  Just because I have to make a journey doesn't mean that all my
choices are gone, and the first choice I must make is to treat this
journey like any other.   Which road do I use?  Do I want to take the
scenic route or save time with the direct route?  Will I need to carry
food?
Where are the fuel stops? Are there any interesting places worth a
diversion or a stopover?  Some of my choices may be restricted, some
may not even be available, but if the journey is to be anything but
tedious I must find things to do with it other than singing unending verses
of "10,000 Green Bottles".

See you on the road.

Dennis.

Dennis Greene 47/10