Dear listmembers,

A late reaction on the discussion about social security. The preoccupation with
possible fraud seems realistic. In Holland everyone who is unfit for work,
whether he did work or not, has an income, as well as everyone who is not unfit
but unemployed. If he/she did work the income is related to the income that has
been earned or else one gets a "minimum". It includes a complete insurance
against all medical costs. Fraud can, in a system like this, never be
completely prevented. But I think this not a strong argument against this
system here in Holland. The way much people see it here, it is a basic human
right to have a part in the wealth of the society to which one belongs. One can
see a parrallel with the right to be professionaly defended when charged with a
crime. Nobody doubts that in a society, in which it is thought important to
prevent that innocent people are imprisoned, there will be guilty ones who, due
to this protection, will not be punished.
Discussion about people's rights, who damage their own health by not taking
meds, I never did hear about that. I guess it is no topic because it only
happens as exception. It is a tricky topic because one can harm ones health in
so many ways. For exsample by working too hard.

The way the medical system is financed is something between tax and insurance.
Tax, because it is obligatory and a percentage of the income, and insurance
because, having paid for it, one only gets something back when the terms for
compensation are met. The system has been build in the years after the second
world war, when unemployment was not existing. With some changes it has till
now survived the economic recession with mass unemployment in the eighties and
de big waves of immigration, that started in the seventies. The social security
is for everyone who is permitted to live here.
I don't write this to start a political discussion, but to give some info to
people, who are interested.
                        Ida Kamphuis