Dear Listmembers,

The decision is taken. I'll have a pallidotomy at 23 september. Although my
symptoms have diminished to a point that allows me to live again, I decided to
have a pallidotomy. I had taken the decision after my first visit  to the
hospital, but had doubts after I had my symptoms more under control.
The dyskinesia that was such a torture for a long time, has not completely
disapeared, except for a bout late at night.
I can't  diminish the one period in the evening. Besides, to prevent it during
the day, I have to be undermedicated much of my waking hours.
The medical staff had seen my dyskinesia on my first visit in March. So they
now saw the difference and found it impressive. But nevertheless the
neuro-surgeon was very positive about my chances to ameliorate the dyskinesia
yet more by pallidotomy.  He is not of the kind that always sees only positive
outcomes. I am aware that I take a risk, but not doing it is a risk too; the
risk of letting time pass which never comes back and be during this time more
disabled than I have to be.
I learned that a dyskinesia like mine is yet more exceptional than I had
realized. Some months ago, when I still did live with the many-hours-a-
day-dyskinesia, a problem arised: getting an MRI-scan.
Afer some failures I was hospitalised and with a sleeping med, which was only
allowed with constant supervision during the scan, because I am using
El-depryl, the job was done.
The nurses, who were on the neuro ward already for two years, were frightened
seeing my dyskinesia and said they had never seen something like that before.
The same reaction came from the nures in the hospital in Amsterdam. I was
recently hospitalised there for some days to have pre-surgery testing and
checking up.

Ida Kamphuis, 53/13