Hooray!

Just got back from accompanying Gene to the blood bank.  For the first
time in ten years, he left some behind and feels good about helping
others.  The only reason I went along was for support this first time.
>From now on, he will make the trip by himself for as long as he wants to.

For the purposes of update: A couple of months ago I learned from this
list that several of you were donating blood.  As you may recall, I was
surprised but also encouraged to learn this fact.  Especially since Gene
had been told by our local blood bank his blood could no longer be
accepted due to PK. At the time, it was a definite blow to his ego because
he took great pride in being a donor.

At first, it became quite a struggle getting the policy changed. We were
told that even though the Red Cross allows PK patients to donate,
they didn't have such loose policies and that they  particularly  prided
themselves on being "stricter and better" with their rules in safeguarding
the public's general welfare than the Red Cros. Also, we had to deal with
a woman director who was "hell on wheels" (obviously pre-menopausal)...;)
to reason with. But it was when she told Gene that no amount of pressure
would get the policy changed any sooner that Gene seemed to become
depressed and so elected to stop discussing it with him.

At one point, Gene and I suddenly appeared on their doorstep so that they
could see him in the flesh  After a couple more rather heated
confrontations between the director and myself, she eventually apologized
(blew it off by saying it was the pressure of her position). A week later,
"lo and behold" their board of directors voted to change their policy.
Isn't it amazing what questioning authority can do!

Once again, thanks for your insight and encouragement.

Regards,

Clara Nistler
Gene Nistler 63/10