-- [ From: Seymour Gross * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

Marilyn Vos Savant writes a weekly column for Parade Magazine.  She is
listed in the "Guinness Book of World Records" Hall of Fame for "Highest
IQ."  The question was sent by Ron Petrarca, Washington, D.C. and it,
along with her response appeared on August 24, 1997.

Question:  I'm planning a career in the biological sciences.  Do you
consider research on human embryos to be ethical?

Response:  This is a dilemma.  I find experimentation on human embryos
to be both ethically right and wrong, depending  on which ethical system
is used.  From a standpoint of professional (in this case, scientific)
ethics, such research appears to be perfectly acceptable.  Human
cadavers are routinely used in scientific research, and human embryos
(that are already dead) don't seem different in an ethically significant
way.  Moreover, the end result could be overwhelmingly positive for
humankind.

But from a standpoint of personal (in this case, moral) ethics, a
problem arises.  Human embryos are clearly incapable of giving their
consent the way human adults may simply donate their bodies to science
if they wish.  Does this incapacity entitle society to appropriate their
cadavers?  If so, we may argue that we should be able to appropriate all
other human cadavers from people who were just as clearly incapable of
giving their consent, such as people who had been living in a vegetative
physical state or even people who merely had been mentally ill.

One way out of this dilemma is through the consent of others.  Just as
the parents of a teenager who dies in a motorcycle accident can donate
his organs, so could the parents of an embryo be able to donate it to
benefit others someday.

Another way out - for the individual scientist - is to ask himself or
herself: "Does society strongly encourage all individuals to give the
consent that would result in my ability to do this research?"  If the
answer is "yes," I think one's conscience can be clear.

Dolores Gross