----------
From:   Mary Rack
Sent:   Friday, August 29, 1997 10:39 AM
To:     [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]
Subject:        BROWNBACK/Udall

Thanks to all of you who answered my panicked questions yesterday!

Well, the town meeting was sure an experience. **

I went to the mike and thanked Sam for cosponsoring, added a few words about the bill to be sure he knew  what I was talking about, and asked how we could help move the process along so the bill reaches the floor this time.

He said we should expect our extra funding from the doubling of NIH moneys.

I tried to follow up briefly but got more of the same, so I'll follow up in writing.  (And I'll have my husband review the letter to be sure I stay polite.)  Oh, and I spoke briefly with Sam's local aide and exchanged cards with her.

Ah, politics.  Co-sponsorship doesn't seem to equal real support.

Mary

** Kinda scary ... 98% of the audience seemed to be to the right of Sam.  So, maybe it's even more important to stay in touch with elected officials NOT on one's own wavelength than with those who are.