Hi Steve,

As promised two abstracts. Maybe it gets you thinking.

Kees Paap

My provider wouldn't let me send it in one file, so i cut it in 2.

P292

HIGH RISK FOR PARKINSON'S DISEASE IN A SAMPLE OF POST PFFICE EMPLOYEES
WORKING WITH LEAD BATTERIES OVER YEARS

R. Winkel*, W. Kuhn, G. Amoiridis, P. Klotz and H. Przuntek

Department of Neurologie, Ruhr of Bochum, St. Josef Hospital, 44791 Bochum,
Germany.

>From eight post office workers who were in close contactwith lead-sulphate
batteries over a period between 1939 and 1980 seven developed Parkinson's
Disease. Clinical, electrophysiological, morphological and biochemical data
will be presented. Four patients with severe parkinsonism (Hoehn/Yahr stage
IV) additionally showed clinical and electrophysiological signs of axonal
neuropathy. Although the underlying mechanisms leading to PD In this group
of workers have not been identified. It seems highly probable that chemical
substances which are present in the batteries are responsible for causing
the disease. This is supported by the detection of axonol neuropathy in four
patients. Earlier reports indicate that lead or its compounds could cause
Parkinson's Disease. It seems unlikely that sulphuric acid, which is also
present in the battery is a main causative factor in inducing degenerative
disorders. Neverttheless we cannot exclude the possible formation of toxic
sulphuric compounds e.g. hydrogen sulphide or carbon disulphide.

Movement Disorders
Volume 9/suppl 1/1994