Inkshedders: Another writing project for youth, this one not limited to
just Ontario residents. Please pass this on to your students if you can.
Thanks.

Michael Hoechsmann
Director of Education
Young People's Press

PUBLISHING OPPORTUNITY

YOUTH PERSPECTIVES ON VOLUNTARISM

As one of our ongoing projects, Young People's Press is developing a
curriculum manual on youth perspectives on voluntarism.

We are presently looking for a number of young writers who would like to
participate in this project.  This is an opportunity to get published, at
minimum in the curriculum manual and on our Internet site, and possibly in
a newspaper as well.  In addition, each writer will receive a $50
honorarium upon publication.

Volunteer work has long been a staple of young people.  On the one hand, it
offers youth opportunities for personal growth, self actualization and
community involvement.  On the other, it provides youth with concrete work
experiences which can lead to further employment possibilities and even
careers.

We have identified a number of topics and angles from which the topic of
voluntarism can be tackled (these are suggestions, not restrictions):

        * Voluntarism as a career exploration strategy for
       youth.

        * The positive impact of volunteering on student
       academic achievement.

        * Voluntarism in an era of youth underemployment.

        * How volunteer work builds self-confidence and self-
       esteem.

        * How volunteer work can develop social and employment
       skills.

        * How voluntarism breaks down racial, cultural and age
       barriers.

        * How voluntarism sustains a civic society and
       strengthens community organizations.

        * How voluntarism contributes to social change.

        * Voluntarism as a social integration strategy for
       immigrants and refugees.

        * Volunteer contributions of people with disabilities.

        * Strategies for maximizing volunteer experiences.

We suggest that you concretize a chosen theme within one or both of the
following frameworks:

        * Profiles of people active as volunteers in their
       communities (and/or your own personal experience).

        * Profiles of volunteer organizations (or of volunteer  placements) in the
arts, social services, health care, sports, community development (local or
global), the environment, industry, business, school-based initiatives,
etc., etc. . . .

Submissions should be 750-2000 words in length.  The deadline for
submissions is October 27, 1997.

Submissions must be typed.  E-mail submissions are preferred.

Please send your submissions, along with your name, address, phone number
and age, to:

Young People's Press
200-110 Eglington Ave. W.
Toronto ON
M4R-1V3

Tel: (416) 484-4570
FAX: (416) 484-8173

E-mail: [log in to unmask]

NB:  If you are interested in this project, please contact Michael
Hoechsmann at Young People's Press as soon as possible to state your
intention to participate and to discuss your topic.