Fellow REED-Lers

Haines remarks in _Ulysses_ that 'Shakespeare is the happy huntingground of
all minds that have lost their balance', and having been working on the
criticism of  _Hamlet_, c.1600-1996 for the past few months, I am
beginning to feel decidedly unsteady myself...

I would appreciate it if you could find a moment to forward me your
nomination for what you consider to be the most significant / interesting
/ influential / unusual monograph or article to have been published in
English on _Hamlet_ either:

i) Post 1970, and/or

ii) Pre-1900.

I've no particular animus against the first three-quarters of this century
(other than the fact that so much was written during it ;) ) as these
dates might suggest -- I've merely already got more material than I can or
will use.

All contributors whose suggestions I take up will be acknowledged (if
they so desire) in a book on _Hamlet_ which I am writing for Icon,
forthcoming in 1999.

Kindest regards

Andrew Spong

University of Herfordshire