From:   Parkinson's Information Exchange on behalf of Dennis Greene
Sent:   Thursday, September 04, 1997 7:26 AM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:        Re: Writer

Barbara M

I am in shock.  You had Hemingway write:

 > "It was a dark and stormy night, with the night sky rent by the jagged
 > brilliance of lightning.  He sat there at the window watching the rain
 > fall and thinking deep thoughts about Sinemet,  Mirapex, pallidotomies
 > and..... "

With all due respect, this sounds more like Snoopy (another of the great
writers but with a different approach to that of Papa Ernest). The idea of
E.H.describing a natural phenominum with other than a simile, is
frightening.
May  I suggest

        Clouds like used cotton waste hung low, neon lightning
        lighting the sky and the room where he sat watching the night.

Equally frightening is the thought of E.H. actually mentioning something
directly
connected with the subject of the piece (the thoughts on Sinemet etc).

Perhaps as PWP, Snoopy's approach is to be prefered. Hemingways
solution to our storm watching friends problems would undoubtably be
painful, probably involving being mauled by lions whilst blowing up a
bridge.  Snoopy would have him meeting the Red Baron, ("drat you
Red Baron"), a caring young French girl, and finally lying back on his
metaphorical doghouse thinking "what's a PWP without a twitch".

I know which approach I would prefer (bring on the caring young French
girl).

Dennis.

Dennis Greene 47/10
http://members.networx.net.au/~dennisg/