Barb -

Thanks for your info about the article.  We knew it would be in the Sun, but
weren't sure when, and haven't seen it.  Just wanted to mention for the
benefit of the list that the paper got part of the story wrong.  The implant
was inserted into the globus pallidus, not the thalamus (that's another
surgery - the one the FDA just approved).  What Dick had was called a
pallidal stimulation.  The other is thalamic stimulation.

>       In the Wed., Sept. 3 edition of the twice/weekly Sun Newspapers
>serving
>Johnson County, KS (greater Kansas City), an article/picture features Dick
>Swindler's pioneer surgery at KU Med Center in 1995/96 where "an electrode
is
>inserted in the area of the brain called the thalmus, then connected under
>the skin to a stimulator, like a pacemaker.  The device can be turned on and
>off by a hand-held magnet."

Margie        [log in to unmask]