Hi List Friends,

I believe this subject was covered some months ago but we have so many new
people I will send this report from John Hopkins again.   Denny N

TODAY'S NEWS MINUTE FROM JOHNS HOPKINS

Hopkins: Grapefruit Juice And Medications

Great taste and plenty of vitamin C adds up to make grapefruit
juice a healthy and popular drink.  But it can turn into a
dangerous cocktail for people taking medications.

Scientists know that some ingredient in grapefruit juice inhibits
the liver's ability to effectively metabolize many drugs.
Unprocessed, they can build up in the body until they reach toxic
levels.  The list of drugs that grapefruit juice doesn't interact
well with is a long one.

Johns Hopkins professor of medicine Paul Lietman, M.D., Ph.D.,
says if you're taking a regular medicine, just a little juice may
be enough to cause trouble.

"A single glass of eight ounces of grapefruit juice will cause an
effect that lasts for several hours," says Dr.  Lietman.  "If
someone is simultaneously taking one of these drugs one could
have severe toxicity, during that period of time."

So if you're very partial to grapefruit juice, and are taking
regular medications, don't gamble.  Dr.  Lietman suggests asking
your physician or pharmacist if the two will safely mix.

Copyright 1997 The Johns Hopkins University.  All rights
reserved.