The mentions of serotonin and tryptophan caught my eye, as I had just read an
article sent me by DelAna Vaughan (listmember) on "Drugs inducing or aggravatin
g Parkinsonism" (Therapie 1996:51:568-577)
The major thrust of studies was drug induced PD-like states, butthey
also studied idiopathic PD.
I quote briefly the following for what it's worth:
"There is both experimental and clinical evidence to suggest a role for
serotonin in Parkinson's disease. Inpatients with PD, the concentration of
total serotonin in CSF had significant negative correlations with Hoehn & Yahr'
stages, and the severity of rigidity, akinesia, and gait freezing.......(also)
tryptophan and papaverine, interacting with levadopa, may aggravate motor sympt
oms in a parkinsonian patient ,but their capacity to induce parkinsonism by the
mselves is uncertain."   This suggests to me that one who is taking levadopa
should be careful of tryptophan.  Do others have info aboutthis effect?
There are other interesting points in the article re: drug interactions
which I'll try to share later on.

Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter, 78/7, Oxford,Ohio
"Ask me about the CARE list for PD caregivers!"