To  Stan-- welcome back!  You will find in the archives lots of posts
about planning for hospitalization--why not ask John Cottingham?

In subject line, put "archive search", and subject in body of post.

I also have a few things in my file I'll forward to you. I agree with Margie
that you should ask doc to CHART that you can take your own meds, and be
sure to take them along in ORIGINAL Bottles, labeled, and with a list of
what you are taking. The nurses usually are cooperative, but it must be
charted by the doc to give them the OK.
Peter also had a hernia repair, and did OK--but if you need pain meds avoid
opiates if possible, and be sure you know ALL the names (trade, generic, chemic
al) of any new drugs they give you. "Eternal vigilance is the price of---
recovery", to paraphrase Ben Franklin.(wasn't it he?)
Good luck and happiness in your new home.

Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter, 78/7, Oxford,Ohio
"Ask me about the CARE list for PD caregivers!"