Hi,

I've just joined this list. Might be interesting for others working on PD
Web sites.

There's also some commentary from a meeting with the FDA about Medical
information on the Internet - http://pharminfo.com/conference/fda_summ.html

List information from the Welcome file:

>WELCOME TO MEDWEBMASTERS-L
>
>==========================
>MEDWEBMASTERS-L is an email discussion group for healthcare
>Internet webmasters, listserv owners, moderators, content developers,
>site designers, etc. who are interested in promoting "good practices"
>on the medical Internet.

>  Owner: John Mack, VirSci Corporation, 2761 Trenton Road
>         Levittown, PA 19056 USA. 1-215-949-3805.
>
>                Email: [log in to unmask]
>

>Our affiliations encompass publishers of professional and
>consumer healthcare information; academic institutions and
>other accredited educational providers; medical libraries and
>database providers; medical specialty and special-interest
>societies; patient advocacy and support groups; manufacturers
>of regulated drugs and medical devices; and commercial
>developers and providers of Internet-based health-related
>education, information, and services.
>
>Our organizations span for-profit, not-for-profit, and
>"aspiring-to-profit" business models. Our quality-assurance
>methodologies range from peer-review to professional editing
>to moderated discussion to the open marketplace of
>unmoderated discussion. And the constraints under which we
>operate include various combinations of governmental
>regulation, mandatory industry accreditation, voluntary self-
>regulation, and market forces.
>
>Topics for discussion include:
>
>* Government regulation vs. self-regulation
>* Copyright Issues
>* Standards for Medical Internet Publishing
>* Disclosures and Disclaimers
>* Media buying strategies
>* Joint efforts at developing standards of quality for
>  medical information on the net
>* Organizing a coalition to maintain standards and develop
>  educational programs
>

>PURPOSE OF THIS LIST
>--------------------
>The purpose of MEDWEBMASTERS-L is to discuss the legal,
>ethical and moral issues involved in developing and
>delivering credible medical information through the Internet.
>The goal is to help patients and health professionals surfing
>the net recognize credible sources of accurate medical
>information and know what is peer-reviewed vs. approved
>labeling vs. promotional information. An appropriate goal of
>the list -- although not the ONLY goal -- is to discuss and
>develop ethical standards for medical information delivery
>within an increasingly commercial Internet atmosphere.

--------- My opinions are my own, NIP's opinions are theirs ----------
Simon J. Coles                                 Email: [log in to unmask]
New Information Paradigms                  Work Phone: +44 1344 778783
http://www.nipltd.com/                     Work Fax:   +44 1344 772510
=============== Life is too precious to take seriously ===============