UNITED STATES SENATE
Washington, DC, 20510-0303

August 28, 1997

Dear Colleague:

We are writing to you as a cosponsor of S. 535, =93The Morris K. Udall
Parkinson=92s Research and Education Act=94.  As of today, the Udall bill=
 has 64
cosponsors.

As you know, this important piece of legislation would help accelerate
scientific progress for the victims of Parkinson=92s by increasing the=
 federal
government=92s financial investment in Parkinson=92s research at the=
 National
Institute of Health to $100 million in FY 1998.  There have been tremendous
new discoveries and progress made by finding a cure and treatment for this
deadly disease.  Therefore, we believe it is critical that the Udall bill be
enacted as soon as possible to keep this momentum going and provide much
needed funding.

Next week the Senate will begin consideration of S. 1061, the FY98
appropriation bill for the Department of Labor and Health and Human
Services.  We would like to offer the Morris K. Udall bill as an amendment
to the appropriation bill.

Since you are one the 64 cosponsors of the Udall bill, we are confident that
you would support our amendment as a part of the Labor/HHS appropriation
bill.  If you have any questions or need additional information, please
contact one of us or have your staff contact=20
Sonya Sotak with Senator McCain at 4-2235 or Linda Degutis with=20
Senator Wellstone at 4-5641.

Sincerely,

John McCain
United States Senator

Paul Wellstone
United States Senator
Margaret Tuchman (55yrs, Dx 1980)- NJ-08540