Hi,

As you are probably aware, Diana, Princess of Wales was until last year the
Patron of the UK Parkinson's Disease Society.

I thought it would be appropriate to share some personal recollections of
Diana. This is from my Father, Derek Coles ([log in to unmask]):

-------

Diana Princess of Wales - a personal memory

I was privileged to meet Diana Princess of Wales on a number of occasions,
mostly in my capacity as Chairman of the Parkinson's Disease Society when
she was our Patron. My outstanding memory, however,  took place on an
earlier occasion and illustrates the empathy The Princess had for the
disabled.

My wife Adrienne, who was severely disabled in movement and speech by
Parkinson's (MSA to be precise) and I attended a reception given by the
Princess for the PDS at St James Palace.

The reception was held in one of the State room access to which was via a
grand staircase.  Adrienne was in her wheelchair and as we approached the
staircase I anxiously looked for the lift but was unable to see one. Then
four smart soldiers in the uniform of the parachute regiment stepped
forward with the comment "May we assist you madam".  As one they carefully
lifted Adrienne, in her wheelchair, and gently but surely carried her up
that grand staircase making humorous remarks as they progressed to ease any
concerns.

In the reception The Princess made her way round the various groups, never
appearing to hurry and a word to everyone.  When she came to Adrienne she
stooped to be at Adrienne's eye level, held her hand and chatted
exclusively to her with interest and understanding. Although Adrienne was
unable to reply except for a faint nod such was the Princess' charm and
consideration that the conversation never for one moment appeared one
sided.  As she left she gave me a warm smile and said "I suppose your the
pusher?"

The thought, care, benevolence and magnetic charm of the Princess made the
evening unforgettable for both of us and it gave great joy and strength to
Adrienne.

Diana Princess of Wales was a Lady of rare charm whose actions came from
the heart.

Derek Coles

--------- My opinions are my own, NIP's opinions are theirs ----------
Simon J. Coles                                 Email: [log in to unmask]
New Information Paradigms                  Work Phone: +44 1344 778783
http://www.nipltd.com/                     Work Fax:   +44 1344 772510
=============== Life is too precious to take seriously ===============