I used to be on this list several years ago, and it's nice to be back.
Allow me to re-introduce myself.  My name is Nancy and I am an Asst.
Professor in Communication Disorders (Speech-Language Pathology &
Audiology) at the University of Minnesota.  Over the past 8 years, I have
done research on the speech problems that people with PD experience.  I am
especially interested in breathing, voice, and the general effects of
fatigue.

I am now collaborating with people in the Dept. of Neurosurgery, and am
frequently asked what might happen to speech/voice after a variety of
neurosurgical procedures (thalamotomy, thalamic stimulation, pallidotomy,
pallidal stimulation, all of which might be unilateral or bilateral).  I
have searched the literature, and can only find a few reports that are
helpful (most of them relating to thalamotomy).

I would love to hear from anyone who has had one (or more) of these
surgical procedures, and your personal experience with your speech and
voice.  Please include information regarding your speech/voice BEFORE the
surgery as well as after.  I will compile these anecdotes and send a report
to the list.  If you'd like to write to me directly, please send your reply
to [log in to unmask] .  I'll also check messages sent back to the list.

Thank you for sharing this information with me.  I hope it will benefit
people on this list as well as other people considering neurosurgery for
the first time.

Sincerely,
Nancy Pearl Solomon, Ph.D., CCC-SLP
Assistant Professor