Debbie and Mary,

Is your internal shakiness something like mine?

When I was diagnosed with PD four years ago, I felt an internal tremor or
shakiness, or nervousness or tenseness.  It was a strong pulsing at a
frequency of 5 to 20 cycles per second that I felt throughout my body---in
my abdomen, legs, arms, and extremities. It was painful.

My neurologist, who specializes in PD, said it was not one of the symptoms
of PD.  Evidently he based his diagnosis of my PD on my other symptoms:
 slowness, poor balance, stiffness and poor posture when I walked, cogwheel
effect in my arms, inability to touch my thumb to my fingers repetitively,
etc.  I had no visible tremor.  I was not taking medication.

He prescribed 5 mg Eldepryl (deprenyl or selegeline) 2 times per day.  It
took nearly 1 month for the Eldepryl to have any effect, and about 2 months
to have its full effect.  The Eldepryl increases the level of dopamine in
the brain because it inhibits one of the pathways of degradation of the
dopamine.  It caused the internal shakiness to go away along with most of
the other symptoms, at least for a while.

About a year later my neurologist, who had a temporary appointment at a
local university, left town to accept a permanent position elsewhere.  I
found a new neurologist, who also specializes in PD, and he also diagnosed
my condition as PD.  I still had no visible tremor, but I felt a tenseness
or tingle inside that comes and goes, mostly in my extremities.  I
described it to him, and he also said it was not a symptom of PD.

Since my PD had progressed, he prescribed Sinemet in addition to the
Eldepryl.  When I took the Sinemet, the internal tingle went away within an
hour or so.

I now take a larger dose of Sinemet (six 25/100 per day) in addition to two
2.5 mg Parlodel per day.     When the medication is working well, I feel no
tingle, but when it wears off, the internal tenseness or tingle often comes
back along with the PD symptoms.  Evidently the tingle that I feel in my
extremities is associated with insufficient dopamine in my brain.

Baldwin Robertson, 62/4          [log in to unmask]