Donna, you write:

>Now I have more ?'s ... I mentioned that he was on Serzone - I thought it
>was helping - but my mom read something about too much SSRI's with PD not
>being good (although I know different ones are different - I know Buspar for
>example can block dopamine - but she just lumps them all together). Anyway
>she cut back one of his Serzone thinking this would ease his upset sick
>stomach
>and the fogginess he gets ... one less pill couldn't matter that much ?
>I think it did - I think he's much more depressed than before.

Donna, I'm not familiar with Serzone.  Is it another name for the generic
Sertraline Hydrochloride, brand name Zoloft?  If so, it would be one of the
SSRIs.  My husband takes Zoloft quite successfully, as do a number of other
PWP we know.  He tried cutting back on it once, and knew within a few days
that he *really* needed to take it.   Will you write and tell us the generic
name of Serzone and what type of drug it is, if you know it?

SSRIs are not the same class of drugs as other antidepressants such as the
tricyclics.  Buspar, which you also name, is a minor tranquilizer and
anti-anxiety drug, but is unrelated to the more common benzodiazepam family
of tranquilizers.  Is your mother thinking that all anti-depressant and
tranquilizer drugs are SSRIs?  I'd suggest that you talk to your local
pharmacist about any and all drugs your dad is taking, and ask for package
inserts for each one.

One other suggestion based on our personal experience:  we've found that
Dick's depression is almost entirely related to dopamine levels.  If he can
get enough dopamine in his system without unbearable side effects, he isn't
depressed.  For him, Mirapex was the answer, although it doesn't seem to be
the answer for everyone.

Jerry, if you're around, this - antidepressants -  would be a good subject
for you to address....

Margie Swindler      [log in to unmask]