> Donna, I'm not familiar with Serzone.  Is it another name for the generic
> Sertraline Hydrochloride, brand name Zoloft?

  No. Serzone is a new SSRI drug - (nefazodone HCl) -
  that BMS (the company I work for) started marketing about a year ago.
  Everything I've read about it claims its one of the better ones out there
  (better than Paxil,Prozac, Effexor etc).

  My dad was put on this about the same time as Sinemet. One of the neuro's
  who work here told me sometimes even though both drugs are good - the combination
  of the two may be less adequate.

> PWP we know.  He tried cutting back on it once, and knew within a few days
> that he *really* needed to take it.   Will you write and tell us the generic

  I think my dad  *really* needs to take it too - my mom cut back on it -
  and he's been worse !

  He's also taking one Surmontil (trimipramine )- at night - we though it was a
  sleeping pill ... but the PDR says its a "antidepressant with anxiety reducing
  sedative component ". Its not an SSRI or MOA-I - i think its a tricyclic.

  Yikes - why didn't I become a pharmacists instead of a chemist ?

> pharmacist about any and all drugs your dad is taking, and ask for package
> inserts for each one.

  We have a lot of info on Serzone - because I can get lit from the sales reps
  here> I should call Upjohn about Mirapex - did you get good lit on that ?

> One other suggestion based on our personal experience:  we've found that
> Dick's depression is almost entirely related to dopamine levels.  If he can
> get enough dopamine in his system without unbearable side effects, he isn't
> depressed.  For him, Mirapex was the answer, although it doesn't seem to be
> the answer for everyone.

  Well we got his visit to the neuro moved up to tomorrow. We originally
  called when Mirapex was first released but he sais he was taking patients
  as they had appts. But we called back to tell him how bad he was doing
  (some people I guess just want a new drug cause its new - and he feels if
  what you have is working ok - don't fix it) But its NOT working ok - so
  it NEEDS to be fixed. The Neuro is confidant that he can come up with a
  good combination that will help my  dad.

> Jerry, if you're around, this - antidepressants -  would be a good subject
> for you to address....

  oh if there is a pharmacist out there - please jump in here !

  Thanks Margie - by the way - how was your surgery ? Glad you';re back.

  Donna

> Margie Swindler      [log in to unmask]

-                  Donna Bassolino-Klimas,  Ph.D.
                   Bristol Myers Squibb Pharma. Res. Inst.
                   Department of Macromolecular Structure
                   P.O. Box 4000    Room H3812
                   Princeton, N.J.  08543 4000