Dear Don:

Anyone who has as many friends here on the list and elsewhere as you do
should not be so sad and discouraged.

One of the hardest things to do is to be able to take a final walk through
that door that represents all the things you were able to do so well in all
those years gone by. But when you pass through there must be something to
take the place of what you can no longer do to keep your brain active.

My husband and I are going through the same kind of trials that upset you so
much, and we know  how you feel. I have had to take on the role of the bad
guy more often than I like to keep him safe. One of his greatest pleasures
had been working in his woodshop. He could make just about anything he or I
wanted or needed, and it always turned out well. As his PD progressed, I had
to persuade him, for the sake of his fingers, to give up most of his power
tools one by one. Lately his attempts to do the simplest tasks, like
painting a board or using a screwdriver, result in a botched job, thanks to
tremor and dyskinesia. Its heartbreaking for both of us. He was a business
teacher who could type without errors at warp speed. Now his efforts are
slow and full of errors. He tries to be philosophical about it, but it
depresses him. Another of his pleasures that he has to bid farewell is
keeping our family financial records. He taught accounting, but the entries
he makes now in the check register are often impossible to read correctly,
and the bank statements don't reconcile smoothly any more. The best I can do
is provide love and support and take on more of these duties. He now
supervises my miserable attempts to handle the books and his ego is still
intact there since I still count on my fingers.  He continues to putter in
his workshop in his short windows of on-time, but he gets so engrossed he
forgets that off-time can come on suddenly. I am considering brushing up on
the "Fireman's Carry" technique in case he gets stuck outside the house when
I have failed to "nag" him in on time.

Don, its tough, but you need to give yourself some slack. Your brain is full
of great ideas for tools and devices to make work easier. Instead of doing
all the work yourself, why not learn about the simple pleasures of bossing
someone else around while they follow your instructions. You can practice on
Vivian!

Never mind the spelling, we can translate just fine. The things that are
happening to you have nothing to do with being dumb or old... your mind is
working better than many a young whippersnapper's. Its just that PD won't
allow your brain's orders to reach your muscles properly.

We hope you got your pet back safely.

Martha and Neal