A bit technical, but the words I understood sent a clear message: dietary Vit.

E intake is important & beneficial.
Abstracts - June 1997
Dietary Antioxidants and Parkinson Disease

The Rotterdam Study
Maarten C. de Rijk, MD; Monique M. B. Breteler, MD, PhD; Johanna H. den
Breeijen, MSc; Lenore J. Launer, PhD; Diederick E.Grobbee, MD, PhD; Frans G.
A. van der Meche, MD, PhD; Albert Hofman, MD, PhD
Objective: To investigate whether high dietary intake of antioxidants
decreases the risk of Parkinson disease (PD).
Setting: The community-based Rotterdam Study, the Netherlands.  Design: The
cross-sectional study formed part of a large community-based study in which
all participants were individually screened for parkinsonism and were
administered a semiquantitative food frequency questionnaire. The study
population consisted of 5342 independently living individuals without dementia
between 55 and 95 years of age, including 31 participants with PD (Hoehn-Yahr
stages 1-3).
Results: The odds ratio for PD was 0.5 (95% confidence interval [CI], 0.2-0.9)
per 10-mg daily dietary vitamin E intake, 0.6 (95% CI,0.3-1.3) per 1-mg beta
carotene intake, 0.9 (95% CI, 0.4-1.9) per 100-mg vitamin C intake, and 0.9
(95% CI, 0.7-1.2) per 10-mg flavonoids intake, all adjusted for age, sex,
smoking habits, and energy intake. The association with vitamin E intake was
dose dependent (P for trend=.03). To assess whether the association was
different in participants with more advanced disease, we excluded those with
PD who had a Hoehn-Yahr stage of 2.5 or 3. This did not fundamentally alter
the results.
Conclusion: Our data suggest that a high intake of dietary vitamin E may
protect against the occurrence of PD.
Arch Neurol. 1997;54:762-765

Margaret Tuchman (55yrs, Dx 1980)- NJ-08540

Reposted by:
Larry Fleming (Margaret, I hope you didn't mind me resubmitting this and I
hope Donna appreciates it as much as I did when you submitted it in June)