Phil -
You wrote:
>>> Phil Tompkins <[log in to unmask]> 09/11/97
05:24am >>>
>>>I once heard Dr. Thomas Chase of the NIH say that
Vitamin E does not cross the brain-blood barrier.<<<

     Phil -
     Vitamin E prevents damage to the cells of the body by
inhibiting oxidation and the formation of free radicals.  Vit E
scavenges for free radicals in cell membranes.  It is thought
to be most effective against cardiovascular disease and
some forms of cancer.
     However, unlike Vit C and B1 (thiamine), which are
utilized by brain neurons for neurotransmission,  Vit E is not
considered to be a brain cell nutrient.  Vit E is "fat soluble"
and stored in the liver.  Vit E is a blood thinner and is often
used in cardiac surgery to avoid clots and lowers blood levels
of free radicals.
     The fact that it does not pass the brain-blood barrier does
not reduce its effectiveness as an antioxidant.
Stephan 53/7