Barb:

I agree with your theory about writing. Tight editing creates good copy.
After all, it took me a week to write this message.

My theory:                                writing time
                   copy length  =    -----------------------------       x
 hrs. of insomnia
                                       number of toes cramping

My rules for good writing:

*   Carefully avoid all adverbs.

*   Verbs should follow nouns, said the Parkie writer.

*    Don't use no contractions. They ain't good.

*    Don't use no double negatives, either.

*    Vary your sentence length.  Make some four words. Make other sentences
longer.  Write a few shorter.  Your copy will flow.  Your editor will smile.

*    Edit your copy with a fine-tooth comb.  Better yet, use a pencil so your
editor can read your changes.

*     If you write about Parkinson's, make certain you understand terms.
Example,
name the conditions characterized by the following:

          MY *$%%^*#@$$ TOES ARE CRAMPING!!!!!!!
          WHY IS MY FINGER STUCK UP MY NOSE?

Final Rule: Never write anything humorous.  Ron Barber might use the "F" word
again.

Stan Houston (54/6.5)