Forwarded message:
From:     Self <lgraym>
To: Parkinson's List Messages
Subject: minor swimming victory (long)
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 10:30:41 -0400

As an enthusiastic lap swimmer for over 25 years,
the progression of my pd symptoms was a very
unwelcome event. I would like to pass on my
experiences in the hope they may help others.
First, however, permit me a minor digression into
some elementary principles of swimming.

Assuming the use of proper stroke technique, a
swimmer's speed through the water is directly
related to the speed of movement of the arms and
legs. That is to say, the faster one moves the
arms and legs (the so called "turnover rate") the faster
the swimmer propels himself or herself through
the water. More importantly, for me, the faster
the swimmer moves the "higher" they ride in the
water and the easier it is to breath.

OK, enough of the theory, onto the realities. As
my pd symptoms progressed to about 4 years after
initial symptom onset, I was able to continue
swimming 5 times per week but my performance had
deteriorated dramatically. Because of my slowed
arm and leg speed (aren't you glad you read the
previous paragraphs) my swimming speed had
dropped drastically and, worst of all, my body
position relative to the surface of the water
was so bad (my legs were hanging down) that I
was having difficulty breathing. Furthermore, I
was having constant problems with foot cramps.

If I concentrated real hard on increasing my arm
speed, my kick would stop completely. Similarly,
if I concentrated on my kick my arm stroke would
stop. It seemed like there was only enough
dopamine for arms or legs but not both.

Every trip to the pool was becoming a bitter
lesson in discouragement. I was no longer
enjoying an activity that had given me so much
enjoyment and stress relief over the years. I
seriously considered giving up swimming but I
knew it would be a crushing admission of defeat
to this disease.

I decided to compromise (don't we all). I now
swim using a styrofoam float between my legs (a
"Pull Buoy") to keep my legs up without having
to kick. With my body position restored I am
able to swim using only the arm stroke while
dragging my legs. Its "not pretty"  but I enjoy
it and my speed is much better. "Pull Buoys" are
standard swimming equipment available at most
pools or from any swimming supply house.

I hope this is of some help to those of you who
might have faced a similar dilemma.

Don't Ever Give Up,
Gray (51/4)
                        Gray Miller