>I DONT KNOW IF YOU ALL (I'M FROM THE SOUTH) THOUGHT LIKE ME THAT THIS WAS
>GOING TO BE THE MAGIC CURE.......BUT SO FAR I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED IN
>MIRAPEX!!!!!!!!    THE CARETAKER ...  BETTER KNOWN AS SUPER  MOM

Dear "Super Mom" -

After nearly 16 years of dealing with this disease, we've learned that so far
there *is* no "magic cure" or "magic bullet."  At least not so far.  Some of
the list members will remember the hoopla over Eldepryl, and way back when,
Sinemet was the new magic bullet.  One thing for sure is, nothing works for
every PWP all the time.  After all the anticipation about Mirapex's release,
which dragged on and on, no wonder people expected too much.

IMHO, it looks to me as if Mirapex works best for those unable to tolerate an
adequate amount of Sinemet without incapacitating side effects, and those who
weren't already receiving the benefit of another dopamine agonist such as
Permax or Parlodel.  I don't know whether actual facts match my impression or
not - that's just the way it seems to me based on reports from people on the
list.

Sorry to hear that your experience hasn't been good so far.  For my husband,
it was a new lease on life, and for a few others on the list.  But there are
many who haven't benefitted much so far, too, so the jury is still out.  In
the long run, I think Mirapex will be just another drug like all the others -
helpful to some, and not helpful to others.   As long as there's no CURE,
then there is no drug or surgery that will return a PWP to a pre-
Parkinsonian state, no matter what we hope for.  For that reason, we've
learned not to get our hopes up.  That way, if something does happen to work
well, we're pleasantly surprised.

Margie Swindler      [log in to unmask]