Bobby Harley,

To me, and apparently to you also, the absolute worst part of this disease
is its effect on speech.  I could handle the bradykensia and other problems
much better if I could make myself understood just a little better.
Unfortunately, it's going the other way.  I tried regular speech therapy,
which didn't work.  The Lee Silverman Speech Therapy program has gotten
100% positive reviews on this List.  I intend to pursue that.  I am also
interested in this new injection technique I hope we'll be hearing more
about.  We've got to keep at it; can't give up this early in the game.
Unlike you, I force myself to use the phone because not using those vocal
cords can only be detrimental.  I actually chuckle when people (who I don't
know) can't figure out what the hell I'm trying to say - some kind of
perversion, I'm sure.  I've only had one person hang up on me, though - a
nurse in the Neurology Department at the East Orange, NJ VA Hospital!!  But
my 79 year old mother, who is just slightly hard of hearing, cries because
she can't  understand me

The biggest problem and saddest part of not being able to speak is not
being able to meet new friends.  Impossible.  People who have known me work
at it.  We would like to move out of this high cost area ($7,000/yr in real
estate taxes on a 2,500 sf house) but I'm afraid, really afraid, to move.
I would never make another friend - who didn't have PD.  So, I think we
just have to follow all the leads.