Dear Bobby and Bruce,

I couldn't help but respond to your frustration about your speech problems.
 I am not a PWP, but I do research with PWP who have speech/voice problems.
 As Bruce sadly found out, traditional speech therapy doesn't seem to help
PWP much, or at least for long.  The Lee Silverman Voice Therapy approach
has been more successful, but it's not necessarily going to work for
everyone.  It's certainly worth a try.  Collagen injections may help with
vocal loudness, but it probably won't help with the "runaway train"
problem.  However, the people who developed the LSVT say that it can help
with speech rate as well as vocal loudness.

Speech is one of the more difficult and frustrating problems in PD to
treat.  Medications may help with tremor, rigidity, etc., but may not help
speech.  Neurosurgical techniques may help abolish tremor and rigidity, but
may actually make speech worse.... THERE ARE VERY LITTLE DATA ON THIS!  I
requested replies from people on the list who had any type of neurosurgery
to tell me about how it affected your speech (positively or negatively).  I
got 5 responses (Thank You!!), and was hoping to get some more.  If anyone
out there hasn't responded and would like to, please write to me at
[log in to unmask] and I'll summarize your comments in a future posting.
Thanks a million.  And best of luck to Bobby and Bruce.  I feel your
frustration, and hope my research can provide some answers sometime in the
not-too-distant future.

Nancy

Nancy Pearl Solomon, Ph.D., CCC-SLP
Assistant Professor