Arthur and Ivan and others,

Reading the posts concerning Ivan's situation, I wonder whether NPF
should even be in the business of direct service. Wouldn't the interests
of the total PD effort be better served by acting as an agency to raise
money and use that money for research, education, referral and as the
law allows political action.  As soon as they get involved with direct
patient care questions of fairness and self-interest come into play.
The likelihood of politics entering into the grant procedures is
magnified.  I have not joined any of the major PD organizations but
because of my care at Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's  I donate to UPF
(which has similar problems in funding I am told) supporting a rather
narrow group of institutions.  Instead of a coordinated effort against
PD we are scattered into a number of groups all with their rather
parochial interests.  In fact the last time I advocated unification on
this LIST I received a call from Larry Hoffmeier. He appeared to be
countering my arguments and advocating continuation of parochialism. His
arguments had the reverse effect and convinced me more than ever that
unification is needed.

 For now-  until Udall is Law I think that the coalition of groups
should not be disturbed-  YOU ALL ARE DOING A GREAT JOB!  But let us use
the opportunity to unite as one community.  The personality conflicts
and institutional differences have got to be put aside so we can rid the
world of the effects of this awful disease.

Ivan,  if his data is even close to being accurate seems entitled to an
apology and probably monetary compensation.  While NPF appears in the
position to play a large part in a new national organization I for one
need some reassurance that they "play fair".  I assume Larry  played his
role as counsel to NPF by taking a rigid position that there was no
liability rather than admit fault and negotiate a reasonable settlement
with Ivan. If true, it is the kind of bullying tactics that puts utility
over justice. I have not heard Larry's or the physician's side of the
story (and "trial by internet" is not- and I hope never will become- the
current legal standard.)

As a physician I am very sensitive to the specter of inappropriate legal
action but if an action of mine or my employee injured a patient like it
appeared Ivan was injured I would want that person compensated.  That's
what I legitimately pay malpractice premiums for.

I have covered 2 separate issues here.  They probably should have been 2
postings.  But POST-UDALL our number one political issue needs to be
unification and  NPF is perhaps the major player.  I hope we can hear
that the issue with Ivan is resolved or at least explained-  or it is
going to be very hard to support a strong role for them.

CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.
Middleton, WI