Since I'm one of those list "burn-outs" (I'm about 20 digests behind) I'm
probably way out of synch with the issue, but that never stopped me before.
For compulsive chaps like myself, I can see splitting the list as only
causing me more consternation -- e.g. which one do I  scan, which one do I
really dig into?  Chances are this is re-inventing the wheel but sorting
messages by general topic -- e.g. political/legislation, research news,
symptom/treatment inquiries, humor, etc. -- would be helpful.  Screening
topics would allow an individual to zero in on (prioritize) subjects of
interest. Once in a topic, it's a pretty fast process of skimming and reading
from that point on.