Donna A. Bassolino wrote:

> So what have we decided ? Vitamin B ... banana's or what ?
>
> I've read some good things about Vit E too - I've been thiking of getting
> some for my dad. My husbands grandmother has been taking it for YEARS and
> she's 92 !! So maybe she's onto something.
>
> The think that bothers me is the RDA is around 30 ... although some newer
> info puts it at 200. The ones in the drug store are 250-500 -
> Now i know too much of a good thing can be just as bad as not enough.
> Maybe I'll get him to get half (100) - every day or every other day ?
>
> Anybody out there have any stories on Vitamin E ?
>
> thanks
>
> have a nice day !
>
> donna

> -                  Donna Bassolino-Klimas,  Ph.D.
>                    Bristol Myers Squibb Pharma. Res. Inst.
>                    Department of Macromolecular Structure
>                    P.O. Box 4000    Room H3812
>                    Princeton, N.J.  08543 4000
>
>                    (609) 252 4413
>                    INTERNET:  [log in to unmask]
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------Donna,

The RDA was establshed years ago which should now be considerd as the
amount necessary to PREVENT DISEASE, not necessarily the OPTIMUM amount.
Vit C provides a good example. The amount necesary to prevent scurvy was
established at 60mg/day. The amount usually taken today is about
500-3000mg/day. In fact the book, Staying Healthy With Nutrition, by
Elson Haas, MD, says that, "My basic suggestion for Vit C use is about
2-4 grams/day with a typical active and healthy city lifestyle".

The same source says the following information about Vit E. The RDA for
adult males is 100 IU/day, for adult females 50-100 IU, for children 30
IU. Recomended amounts are about 400-600 IU/day which provides
antioxdent value as well the other benefits of Vit E. Large doses of Vit
E (over 1200 IU) can have a mild immune suppressing effect; smaller
doses seem to be  immune supportive.

---Milo

-----

--
Milo V. Anderson, Ph.D.             Knowledge is free at the library;
Box 417                             bring your own contianer.