Donna

Anti- cholinergics are meds against Parkinson which already existed before
leva-dopa. In fact they were used not only for Parkinsons but too for
schizophrenics, who due to their meds had symptoms of PD,especially
bradykinesia and stiffness. Acetylcholine is next to dopamine one of the
chemicals(neurotransmitters) of the extra-pyramidal system, which function
is disturbed in PWP's.
In the brain many systems work with two different neurotransmitters who are
together in equilibrium. This equilibrium is disturbed, because enough dopamine
can no longer be produced. Some symptoms in PWP's are caused by the shortage of
dopamine per se; others are (in part ) caused by the imbalance by which
acetylcholine has too much power. So all symptoms are expected to ameliorate
when extra dopamine is given. Some symptoms however especially stiffness
ameliorate when the acetylcholine is diminished and the equilibrium is
reinstated be it on a lower quantity. This is what anticholinergics do.
A problem is that acetylcholine is also very important for memory functions.
Taking anti-cholinergics one can expect memory functions to deteriorate more or
less. Anticholinergics had about 15 year ago the same role as the dopa-agonists
have now. It was used to postpone the use of sinemet or was used next to
sinemet.
             Ida Kamphuis