Hello Everyone,
        My name is Linda Morgan and I am new to the Parkinson's List.  I am
really glad to have found all of you.  My dear father-in-law was diagnosed
with Parkinsons several years ago.  About six weeks ago he had open heart
surgery to replace a faulty valve.  He got through the surgery remarkably
well for an 80 year old person but his Parkinson's has presented itself with
new symptoms.  He has begun to experience "freezing" when he walks.  Is
there anything that is helpful for this problem?  He has good medical care
with a doctor who specializes in Parkinsons, but I am anxious to see if
there is anything else we can do to help him.  He tries to exercise and has
a person who helps him with that, but it has been very hot in Los Angeles
the last few weeks and the heat really gets to him.  Also, does anyone know
if Parkinson's is hereditary?  My husband is interested in the answer to
that question.
        I am grateful for any help we can get.  Managing every day life is a
challenge for my mother and father-in-law.  Today he fell out of bed (no
harm done thank heavens) but he couldn't get up by himself and he needed a
lot of help.  Luckily we were available to go and help my mother get him up,
and as I said he had no injuries from his fall.
        Well, I have rambled long enough.  I am very glad to be a part of this
group.  Thank you.
        Linda Morgan ([log in to unmask])