This is in respomse to the interesting post from Stephan Schwartz,
including quotes from Dennis Greene. Dennis' comments refer to my model of
how the brain responds to levodopa. This model started off life as a
series of observations and facts gleaned in discussions with a neurologist
friend of mine. About a year ago, it hardened up into the form of my
'model'.  The thing that gives me encouragement is that since then as new
discoveries have popped up, and I find that the model can explain these
new items without modification. (A good test of a model, I think). My
'Chart A' (available at all good web sites) came out of the model.

My reason for writing is that I can settle your concern about Apomorphine
and dyskinesia, Dennis.
   The key point as I see it is that the events which lead to dyskinesia
occur ONLY kn the brain of a PWP. In a normal person, only enough dopamine
is released to satisfy the requirements of the brain. There is no excess,
and so no dyskinesias.  In fact, if you follow it through to the end,  I
believe that if some ingenious person managed to smuggle dopamine across
the blood/brain barrier, and even if it was dopamine previously extracted
from that same person, a larger-than necessary dose would  STILL produce
dyskinesias.  Just to ram the point home, I am saying that dyskinesia can
be caused by an excess of Dopamine, Levodopa, Apomorphine, and if you
could absorb enough, probably a certain amount of the well-known agonists
like Permax would produce dyskinesias.
   This is my answer to those doctors who still cling to a half-baked idea
(because someone once told them ), that if you use levodopa too early in
the progress of the disease, it will 'lose its effectiveness'. I think
that is wrong, and that the difficulty results from the continued
degradation of the Substantia Nigra which makes it necessary to administer
the levodopa, etc more precisely.

  I have not used Apomorphine myself, (It's on my 'rainy day' list), but I
do know people who take it. I think it has the following good and bad
points:

1/ It is administered subcutaneously and thus by-passes the entire
digestive system, allowing for more precision in administration.

2/ Apomorphine can be taken in such quantity that it can even cause
dyskinesias.

3/ A growing number of people in the UK are going for the continuous
injection system. It is quite expensive, but the degree of control is
good, and you are less likely to end up looking like a pin-cushion.

I hope this is of some interest.

Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>