Hi,

I thought it was time to make a practical proposal instead of engaging in
abstract debates :-)

Unless you feel your comments need to be read by everyone, please send any
comments to me direct at [log in to unmask]

I propose to create a list, PDANNOUNCE, for carrying announcements and
other important happenings of interest the PD community.

Typical messages would be:
        - announcing real world events, such as conferences, fundraising
          walks, etc.
        - announcing new resources, such as books, web sites, mailing
          lists, etc.
        - digests of current science reviews, other useful PD specific
          information
        - appeals for help/calls to arms for things like the Udall bill
          (but not specific detials and discussion about the Bill and efforts
          to get it passed).
        - announcing new drugs, or new applications of old drugs, etc.

The list would be one way - announcements only and moderated, at least
initally. I would imagine there would be a few posts a week, nothing more.
Any discussion or follow-up from posts would happen privately or in
appropriate forums such as PARKINSN.

My main motivation for this list is to have somewhere for people to go if
they have an interest in Parkinson's Disease, but don't feel they can
subscribe to PARKINSN - for whatever reason. I would also hope that all
members of PARKINSN would subscribe as well.

Typical list members:
        - A current member of the PARKINSN list.
        - A busy office worker who's parent/friend has PD. They won't have
          the time to subscribe to PARKINSN but probably would be able to
          subscribe to PDANNOUNCE, and fax/mail articles to parents.
        - Charity worker/interested medical professional, who would like to
          be part of the PD community on the Internet but doesn't have much
          interest in the kind of chattiness that goes on in PARKINSN.
        - A member of a branch committee or newsletter editorial board who
          is looking for relevant news & information for their newsletter.

PDANNOUNCE would have the same philosophy as other Internet mailing lists
such as MACWAY and RRE, for those of you who are members of those lists.

People wanting to post articles to the list would send them to me I and
would forward them on to the list. I'm not particularly attached to such a
moderation scheme and may well adjust it (open it up) as experience allows.

Initially I would monitor PARKINSN for posts suitable for forwarding to
PDANNOUNCE, but that's not something I'd want to do long term - much better
for people to send announcements direct to PDANNOUNCE.

With PDANNOUNCE I hope to provide a list to which anyone with the slightest
interest in Parkinsons's Disease would feel happy being a subscriber. Would
it be supported you?

To keep list traffic down, comments directly back to me please at

Simon

--------- My opinions are my own, NIP's opinions are theirs ----------
Simon J. Coles                                 Email: [log in to unmask]
New Information Paradigms                  Work Phone: +44 1344 778783
http://www.nipltd.com/                 http://james.parkinsons.org.uk/
=============== Life is too precious to take seriously ===============