I read with interest the recent posting regarding epilepsy and Parkinsons.
My mother Margaret has Progressive Supranuclear Palsy (PSP), a movement
disorder similar to Parkinsons. Margaret started having grand mal seizures
in May of 1996. Since the spring of 1997, the seizures have been
increasing, even though she had been taking depakote (valproic acid) and
now dilantin .Evidence of these seizures did not show up on EEG's, done
weeks apart. Doctors at the last PSP symposium in Baltimore in June 1997
say seizures are uncommon in PSP (though the literature indicates that they
do happen). These seizures are painful to watch and extremely difficult on
my mother's health. She has been in a nursing home since June 1996 and is
in the last stages of PSP. This connection between movement disorders like
Parkinsons and PSP and epilepsy is worth further study. I have researched
Medline and other online databases but have not found much information, or
how to deal with them.