Janet wrote:
>>> janet paterson <[log in to unmask]> 09/19/97 03:12pm
>>>when my ex-brother-in-law, willie, was a child,
he was part of a large, hard-working, loving family during his
teen years willie witnessed a profound personality change in
his father who became generally very angry and
argumentative to the point of physically abusing willie's mom
willie felt his love for his father turn to hatred  - a few years
later willie's father was diagnosed with a brain tumour
and died not too long after the diagnosis<<<
>>>on a more personal and slightly less traumatic level
during my twenties I shared an apartment with my then love
maurice for about four years my temperament has always
seemed pretty happy and easy-going both to me and to all
my friends certainly I rarely got angry or raised my voice
in spite of that maurice and I had horrific yelling arguments
once in awhile and I can still feel the full-blown glorious rage
surging around inside me from those fights<<<
>>>finally maurice took note of the calendar he was the one
to make the connection between our arguments and day 23
of my menstrual cycle it was like clockwork and I never
made the connection for hmmmm 27 - 13 = 14 years x 12 =
168 months<<<
>>>I virtually became another person I was angry at
everything and anything   no matter what maurice said
or even if he said nothing   it made no difference I just got
angrier maurice could have propped up a cardboard replica of
himself and gone out for a walk I doubt that I would have
noticed<<<
>>>am I going anywhere with these two sad tales?<<<
.......brain chemistry
>>>we are all familiar with pd's physical symptoms
and while some of us may be embarrassed about showing
them in public we are all used to and even probably expect
some level of empathy, understanding, compassion and
accommodation from the rest of the world for our physical
plight however when it comes to symptoms which may be
deemed 'psychological' or 'emotional' or 'cognitive' or
whatever it seems to me that a lot of people may be tempted
to rush in and make judgments and condemn such
behaviours as 'nutcase'  I find myself sitting back and
saying 'hmmmm' to myself between 'hormone hell' and cd
I have experienced a ton of 'emotions' that have been purely
chemically induced and had nothing to do with my so-called
'mental state'<<<
>>>medication induced psychosis is just that
medication induced not a 'mental condition' and not even
permanent<<<
>>>the way I see it medication induced psychosis
is as real a possibility for me and for any parkie
as any other drug side effect<<<
>>>it seems to me that constant vigilance
and intimate knowledge about our disease
are both critical to our well-being and to our safety
I have to consciously work at the former
I am grateful every day for this list for providing the latter
Janet and others:
     "Brain chemistry" is the key to this bundle of symptoms.
     I too have noticed "psychological" or personality changes
in the way I deal with stress.  Annoyance is my constant
companion . . . lately accompanied by anxiety:
- How long will the medication control my symptoms so I can
continue to drive and work, etc.?
- Why don't I get a uniform response from my dosage each
time?
- Are people distracted by my symptoms?
- Why can't I seem to get a good night's sleep?
- How can I avoid these painful cramps?
- Will the exaggerated "gag" response I sometimes have be
the death of me?
- etc., etc.
     It is reported that anxiety reactions, "panic attacks," are
a behavioral condition of PD reported in over 40% of PWP.
Anxiety disorders in Parkinson's patients, "Amer J Psych",
1990, 147:217.
     The reported physical symptoms of anxiety range from an
unpleasant sense of apprehension to those of PD itself, like
increased tremor and dry mouth.  If the anxiety and the
response interfere with daily living, doctors call it a disorder.
     Doctors usually treat these symptoms with
antidepressants (Prozac, Zoloft) or tranquilizers (Valium,
Ativan), but some patients cannot tolerate these meds.
     Researchers believe that anxiety is not only brought on
by the difficulty in coping with the symptoms, but is also
linked to the neurological basis of the disease.  Is anxiety a
marker?  Does the PD medication increase the susceptibility
to anxiety?
     Especially PWP who battle with the "on-off" fluctuations.
Anxiety may not be just a result, but also worsen the lack of
mobility.  In Panic attacks, "Acta Neurol Scand," 1993,
87:14, the authors raise the question of whether the anxiety
is a sub-category of clinical depression.
    Researchers have studied whether the disturbance in the
brain of a neurotransmitter, norepinephrine is implicated, or if
there is an underlying change in brain chemistry in PWP.
    In summary - a "reality check" implies one has the
physical and mental capacity to objectively observe  the
situation.  The research on anxiety suggests we (PWP) need
assistance in dealing with this problem.
     A good start at developing objectivity is a free NPF
publication, Adjustment, Adaption, and Accommodation;
Psychosocial Approaches to Living with Parkinson's
Disease, 71pp.  It can be ordered from the NPF, 1501 N.W.
9th avenue, Miami, Fla. 33136.
      Stephan 53/7