Without re-posting the whole discussion about flickering light,
perhaps I can help with a few comments;
Baldwin is right about the 120Hz flicker of fluorescent or neon
light being too fast to have much effect. The 30Hz of a TV
image, or 24Hz of sound movies, is still not noticeable unless
you wave a hand between your eyes and the screen. Silent
movie frame rate of 16Hz can be definitely annoying (We still
call them "flicks"). The flickering light of disco halls,
either from the rotating mosaic mirror or from laser strobes,
at a frequency 10Hz or so, is deliberately chosen to excite,
confuse, or alter the state of consciousness. I think I read
somewhere that such a flickering stimulus can easily provoke
siezure in a person with epilepsy. Cheers,
Joe
--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road