Listmembers,

Though nothing that I write below has not been written before, I felt the need
to say it again. So there we go. Some comments on the Psychosocial Factors in
Treating PD.

Which it still can be. Stressing too much that PD, if treated, is not
disabling, may protect starters, but can be a nuisance for those, who are
disabled.
People telling me they did read or did see something about PD on television
and it can be cured now by a simple surgery and why I haven't go for that yet,
are not helpful to me.

The point here is that one can question when the patient was pre-morbide.
We know PD needs many years before the stage is reached, that it can be
diagnosed, but that does not exclude it does already have its influence.
Another and I feel yet more important reason why this statement has
to be questioned, is the fact that many PWP's do not or only partially
express their feelings with mimicry or body language.
For other People it look like they don't have those feelings.
The social consequences of that can hardly be overscored. In my opinion
an expert should know about the intuitive way people judge other
people and the near impossibility to go beyond this intuition even with the help
of conscious knowledge.
So even if the sentence about the pre-morbid personality is partially true
(which is not sure), in my opinion an expert who writes about it should always
stress that if one's emotions are not visible that does not prove they don't
exist.
The only emotion a PWP seems to have is anxiety or nervousness, which is
a wrong but often made interpretation of tremor.

circumstances.

We know how much disbelief PWP's have met in hospitals when they
stressed the importance of the exact timing of their medicines
Whether true or not one should not write about this without mentioning that
in later stages of PD a great precision about times may be mandatory
even when the patient seems to be obsessive and compulsive.

Here too the whole burden of things that go amiss in the relation of a PWP
with the social environment, is laid on the PWP. The embarassment that is
mentioned is not only that of the PWP. The social environment may demand
things, that can not be met by a PWP. For example: living in a culture
where much smiling is mandatory, not being able to smile has far
reaching consequences.
It is well-advised to try to explain things, but it does not always help.
Reading this article, it was again clear what makes self-help groups so
usefull. It is the absence of patronizing that only patients or caregivers
manage to have.

Ida Kamphuis, 53/13
Holland