Dear Jacki and Bob,

I think the idea that this is outpatient surgery is absurd and should be
challenged. On the other hand my wife Nancy had two separate
Pallidotomies done in 1995. Both were  very successful. We did go in the
day before which the insurance company challenged but acquiesed because
of the requirement that Nancy be off of her meds for 12 hours prior to
surgey. I would have needed an ambulance to get her to the hospital
after being off her meds for that long.

To our surprise, however, Nancy was released from the hospital directly
from the intensive care unit the day after her second pallidotomy. And
this was at our request. She was sitting up in bed with her make up on
and dressed when the Neuro walked in the morning after the surgery.
Needless to say he was ecstatic and so were we. We were home two hours
later. So it can be done.

I hope Bob has the same success. We wish you both the very best

> Date: Monday, 22-Sep-97 09:33 PM
>
> From: 3putts                   \ Internet:    ([log in to unmask]
net)
> To:   Parkinsn Mail            \ Internet:    ([log in to unmask]
utoronto.ca)

> Subject: Pallidotomy -- Outpatient??
>
> No, I am not joking.  Today the surgeon's office called to schedule
Bob's
> pallidotomy and they explained that they are having some difficulty
with the
> insurance company,  BCBS of Florida.   BCBS told them that this
procedure
> should be done on an outpatient basis.  Yes, the girl at the surgeon's
office
> did ask to speak to a nurse coordinator, but the reply was the same.
Currently,

--
Kingwood, TX