On Mon 22 Sep, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Here's another point of view from  a patient now in her 33rd year of
> parkinsons.  Three years ago her dosage of sinemet had reached a point where
> she had a violent dyskenias reaction whenever she took her medicationl. The
> Movement Disorder Center at the University of Souther Florida, where we
> visited occasionally, suggested the liquid approach which this patient has
> been on now for three years, with very little problems, other than
> occasionally missing an hourly dose.  Her body pretty much tells her when
> each hour rolls around, as it approaches near rigidity. And when that
> rigidity nears, you can understand the need for medication which we hardly
> would compare to alcohol addiction. Suffice it to say that the liquid
> approach is worth trying if one is having severe ups and downs from  regular
> medication.  (It has helped this patient to smooth out responses... and
> sinemet cr, which was tried, never worked as well.)

A patient with 33 yrs of PD!! What suffering must lie behind those simple
words. It is good to see that you are still in there fighting, and not
giving in.  I had not followed this Liquid Sinemet method to its logical
end, by which I mean that by taking smaller and smaller doses at more
frequent intervals, you are producing what is virtually a continuous flow
system - That is what we crudely try to do when we start breaking tablets
in half.  I remember the late Alan Bonander describing to me his system
(Which had been part of a research program: He wore around his waist a
pump, which was plumbed directly into his lower intestine. It could be set
to trickle a continuous flow of medication, to maintain a constant blood
plasma level of levodopa. It was obviously a pain to set up each day,
but it gave him a really fine control over his symptoms, particularly
because he was by-passing the digestive system altogether, so meals
were no problem. And what was his medication ?-- Sinemet and Orange Juice !!

Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>