I have been following with interest the accounts of various
listmembers who seem to have 'droped in' to the hospital
for a pallidotomy.  Here in Australia, (Perth specifically)
where the procedure is performed in govt funded hospitals
with no direct billing to the patient (we do pay of course -
indirectly via a 1.5% levy on every taxable $) the patient
enters hospital nearly a week before the surgery.  As most
Australian centres performing the surgery are involved in
research, I suspect this is to accomadate the battary of
tests they want to do, rather than any advantage to the
patient.  Most are sent home for the week-end, reporting
back on Sunday night to be available for more tests
monday morning.  Surgery is scheduled for Tuesday, and
tuesday afternoon and wednesday morning are spent in the
High Dependency Unit.  More tests wednesday afternoon
and thursday morning and home thursday pm or friday am.
You wouldn't think it was the same operation.

I am in awe of those superbeings (eg Barbara Mallut) who
report being back at work the day after surgery - they must
be made of sterner stuff than I am. Whilst I certainly felt
better in PD terms from the next day, it took me weeks to
really feel 'well'.  Perhaps in my case two procedures in as
many weeks gave me an atypical reaction.

Asked to speak at the recent Australan Conference as the
patients representative on the surgery forum, I said that
pallidotomy had given me back my life, but that it was not
something to be undertaken lightly. It is a procedure for patients
with very specific criterior, amoungst which was that they
had to have used up all their other options.  This is not
having a tooth pulled. This is having a hole drilled in your head
and a bit of your brain zapped.  Whilst I applaud those of you
who have felt happy to leave hospital early I am troubled by a
system which demands that so serious a matter be treated on
an outpatient basis for fiscal reasons.  Someone always bears
the cost, and I fear that the savings of the Insurence companies
is being underwritten by the patients risk.

Dennis.

Dennis Greene 47/10
http://members.networx.net.au/~dennisg/