Ivan, you write:

>What is so surprising is that the surgeon is burning something out,
>(palllidotomy), and yet, in the other case, the  surgeon is enhancing the
>same area of the brain, by stimulation.).

 That's a good assumption, but actually the stimulation in effect doesn't
"add" anything to the brain.   The best way I can describe the way the
pallidal stimulation works is to say it's like a TENS unit - you know, those
electrical devices that people sometimes wear on the back to block back pain.
 You could say the device blocks the "wacky" signals that make the body do
things you don't want it to do, like tremor and cramp and dance around
wildly.  I suppose Ken Becker would say it's like jamming a radio signal.

Hope that helps explain things better.  Margie      [log in to unmask]