Barb Mallut . I have gooten many a chuckle over your comments. Your
scenario with Big John Wayne got me to thinking about my first Pallidal
stim operation, January 1996. I had a small amount of hemmorhage post-op
and they had me in intensive care under close watch. I thought I would
liven things up a bit so when they wanted to check my mental state with
simple questions like "who, are y0u, etc. I responded , I am W.H. "Wild
Horse" Olson, and I had had a shoot-out with Marshall Dillon after I
robbed the Dodge City Bank. I got part of my brains shot out and Doc
Holliday retrieved them out of the dust and washed them off with
Bourbon, and popped them back in place for me.
        I thought that they knew me well enough by then so they would expect
something like that out of me, but they must have reported my story to
the Doctors with some concern; one of the Doctors told me later that I
had stirred things up, and really had their attention for a while.
        Dr. Ioconno and staff had a phone number, and a E-mail address that he
will answer questioms on this subject.He offered to answer questions and
gave both a phone number(909-792-8188) and an E-mail address
=<[log in to unmask]>    Ivan, I noted your request for info on
pallidotomy vs. pallidal stim. I have been having a noisy phone line and
was not able to log on to Dr. Iaconno's web site.  It is
www.pallidotomy.com in case you missed the posting on it. I was able to
get the Doctor's phone number off the web page so he and/or his staff
apparantly want people to phone for info on this subject. Or E-mail them
at <[log in to unmask]>.
        I am not well informed on Pallidotomy's , but I have had a pallidal
stim surgery ; right side was done in January and the left in March ,
1996. The left side of my body had the most problems so because of the
nerve cross-over, they put the first stimulator in the right side of my
brain. I usually turn the devices off as soon as I have turned off the
TV amnd am settwed down for the night. It doesd not seem to cause any
problems for me, if I go to sleep with them on., and I have done it a
number of times. It is likely that my battery will fail sooner if I do
yhat constantly. The surgeon told me that it is rather quick and minor
surgery to replace the unit when the battery fails.They were priced at
$6000 each when  I got mine, I was just back for another evaluation, and
 think they prefer putting the leads into the subthalamic nucleus rather
than into the globus pallidum.
         It took me a while to fully appreciate the value of my  devices. I
returned 3-4 times over a 3-4 month period before we got the settings
adjusted optimumly. One setting brought on a nervous foot. Since I was
back for changing that, I have been very pleased with it.