D>      Ivan, I noted your request for info on pallidotomy vs. pallidal stim.
I have been having a noisy phone line and was not able to log on to Dr.
Iaconno's web site.  It is www.pallidotomy.com in case you missed the
posting on it.<[log in to unmask]>.
        I am not well informed on Pallidotomy's , but I have had  pallidal stim
surgery ; right side was done in January and the left in March , 1996.
The left side of my body had the most problems so because of the nerve
cross-over, they put the first stimulator in the right side of my brain.
I usually turn the devices off as soon as I have turned off the TV amnd
am settled down for the night. It doesd not seem to cause any problems
for me, if I go to sleep with them on., and I have done it a number of
times. It is likely that my battery will fail sooner if I do that
constantly. The surgeon told me that it is rather quick and minor
surgery to replace the unit when the battery fails.They were priced at
$6000 each when  I got mine, I was just back for another evaluation, and
 think they prefer putting the leads into the subthalamic nucleus rather
than into the globus pallidum.
         It took me a while to fully appreciate the value of my  devices. I
returned 3-4 times over a 3-4 month period before we got the settings
adjusted optimumly. One setting brought on a nervous foot. Since I was
back for changing that, I have been very pleased with it. It iTHe main
benefit,         got from my surgery is that it almost completely eliminated
my dyskinesias. These were mainly involuntary movements and This was
making me into a spectical when I went out in public. At times, I moved
myself in with the crying babies at church in order to give my pew-
mates more peace about my flailing around. I was thinking of giving up
driving, and if I had an appointment, I usually lined up someone to
drive for me, in case I was not under control. uWith a lift chair that i
usually sleep in more than my bed; I can allow my wife a certain amount
of relief fromhelping me. Once in a while, I get stuck in a position
that I cannot seem to move out of witout her help, but she probably
dislikes the hollaring, I occasionally do when I have a nighmare. My
voice remains strong., but I really must get out and walk more.
        Sincerely Bill Olson,<[log in to unmask]>If it should be
necessary because of poor placement, etc. , it is nice to know my
surgery has some options after, the position decision is made. Hope I
gave you some helpful information.