At 10:36 AM 9/26/97 -0400, Michael Lawson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Please disregard my plea for help
>
>Already too much help!
> Thanks
>

>Mick

Is this a case of <uncle...> crying "Uncle"?

Or is this symptomatic of a problem that we have been sweeping under the rug.

I think the latter.  Through this list and through our support groups we
are exposed to a number of wonderful caregivers.  Perhaps that raises the
standards and expectations of those whose caregivers don't appear to be so
wonderful.

After watching my (second) wife of 16 years as caregiver for her
ex-mother-in-law, her stepfather, and her mother, I decided that her care
was more perfunctory than loving - and I opted out before I would need her.
 It's a decision that can easily be put off until it's too late.  I decided
that, when push comes to shove, I would be better off in the hands of a
stranger than in the hands of the woman whom I once loved.

That's sad, too.  Not as sad as Michael Lawson's story.  And certainly not
as sad as Michael Lawson's story would have been had his wife waited
another year, with him being further disabled, before showing her true colors.

Divorce is not a happy thing or something to be entered into lightly, but
it is certainly worth considering that we do not want the problems of PD
exacerbated by the callousness of a caregiver-partner whom one feels does
not care.

Art

Arthur Hirsch [] [log in to unmask] [] Lewisville, TX

               Always Remember This:
     Happiness Is Right, So Choose Happiness