Jacob, you write:

>I know what pallidotomy and pallidal stimulation are supposed to do. They
are
>used to shut off the receptors that are misfiring because of the lack of
>dopamine there to transmit the signals.
>What about dopamine agonist such as mirapex, permax, and parlodel. I have
>heard that they are supposed to "Stimulate" the receptors. Is this the same
>kind of stimulation provided by the pallidal stimulation. If it is, then I
>need to get off mirapex, because the pallidus is where I have the damage.
>In other words, I need to turn the receptors on, instead of shutting them
>down.

Probably a better word for what the agonists so is "sensitize" or "turn on"
the receptors.  Picture a 5' tall basketball player reaching for every
basketball that comes by and missing most of them.  Then imagine the
basketball player suddenly grows to 7'6" tall.  He's going to snag lots more
of the balls that come by.  That's how I picture the dopamine receptors once
an agonist "sensitizes" them.

I suppose another anaolgy could be used for what the stimulator does.
 Consider the globus pallidus (or the thalamus) to be taken over by unruly
gang members causing all sorts of mayhem.  Along comes the SWAT team with
stun guns and zaps the gang members into relative immobility.  Suddenly, no
more mischief, and life in the "neighborhood" can get back to something like
normal.

So as I see it, you're doing the right thing by taking the Mirapex.  Don't
stop unless it causes unwanted side effects.  Margie Swindler