A-HEM.... (jumping in, and hoping she isn't massacred in the process)

I'd like to point out to my fellow Parkies that at one time those of us who
vowed to "Love, honor, and cherish, in sickness and health," prolly knew next
to nothing ourselves about Parkinson's Disease, or any other major chronic
disease.  AND I betcha we'd never even HEARD the word "caregiver" in relation
to a spouse or life-partner, much less figured WE'D end up in
that not-always-enviable-position.

I believe as awful as this disease is to US, it's JUST AS AWFUL for our
respective spouses, life-partners, etc!!!  Just "different-awful...." for
THEM.

How many of US would give everything we've got to wake up one day and
be RID of the damn PD?  Did any one of you just say "NOT ME?  I love this
disease and wanna keep it no matter what?" <rueful smile> I seriously
doubt it!  So Why should a spouse or life-partner have any different feelings
about the disease AND the person who has it?  ESPECIALLY if there are OTHER
mitigating problems within a marriage or relationship???

There seems to be a common thread amongst the recent number of posts about "my
caregiver's divorcing me."   HEY FELLAS - is your CAREGIVER
leaving the YOU-as-the-PD-patient, or is your WIFE saying "I didn't bargain
for this "caregiver" stuff for the rest of my life 'cause it's like being
sentenced to a life-term in prison for me!  AND this marriage ain't so hot
either?"

It takes a very special partner to hang in there for the long haul, AND a very

special relationship.  If the love that was there at the beginning has long
since been eroded by the many other things that can undermine the foundations
of a marriage, why then would you expect your spouse to continue living in the
same house with you in a caregiver role year after
year after endless year?

That smacks of penal servitude to me, and personally, I'd rather struggle on
on my own no matter HOW bad that may be than to force someone whom I look at
ONLY as a "caregiver," and as an "income provider," rather than as
a dearly beloved partner, to continue in that unenviable position.

It's bad enough that I'M held prisoner by the PD - I sure don't want to be
someone ELSES jailer ALONG with my disease putting them in that role.

Barb Mallut